Meet Temple Grandin, the ultimate expert on how kids with autism can do amazing things.
Temple Grandin did not speak until she was three-and-a-half. She had to be taught how to wait and take turns, and struggled to understand the world around her. The biggest advocate for her care was her mother who fought tirelessly to support her.
Today, Dr. Temple Grandin may not be a household name but in the world of Animal Welfare, she is at the top of the field. Professionally, she is a professor of Animal Science at Colorado State University. She has designed livestock handling facilities around the world and written numerous articles and books on the matter. She is also a person with autism.
In addition to her articles, presentations, and interviews on Animal Welfare, Dr. Grandin has written extensively about autism. Her experiences of living on the autism spectrum have been documented in her many books as well as in an HBO movie about her life. As a person living with autism, she relates her struggles and success with an open, honest accounting.
Dr. Grandin has been an inspiration to parents and individuals diagnosed with autism. The resources she provides may not apply to everyone, but they are helpful to understand the perspective of people impacted by it. The first book she wrote about autism was considered unprecedented. It was the first book written about autism from someone who was experiencing autism.
Here are some of Temple’s most popular books that we wholeheartedly recommend to better understand how kids with autism think and how focusing on their strengths and interests can lead to great careers — and a more fulfilling life.
- Navigating Autism: 9 Mindsets For Helping Kids on the Spectrum
- The Way I See It – (5th Edition)
- Thinking in Pictures – My Life with Autism
- The Autistic Brain – Helping Different Kinds of Minds Succeed
- Developing Talents – Careers for Individuals with Asperger’s syndrome and High-functioning Autism (Co-authored with Katy Duffy)
- Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships – Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism (Co-authored with Sean Barron)
- Different…Not Less – Inspiring Stories of Achievement and Successful Employment from Adults with Autism
- The Loving Push – How Parents and Professionals can help Spectrum Kids become Successful Adults (Co-authored with Debra Moore, Ph.D.)
- Emergence: Labeled Autistic
- Temple Talks…About Autism and Sensory Issues
- Temple Talks…About Autism and the Older Child
If you’d like to learn more about Dr. Grandin, please visit her website at templegrandin.com.
Written by Joe’L Farrar, M.Ed., CCC-SLP BCBA