The countdown to Thanksgiving has begun!
While the turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings are the stars of the show, it’s the time spent with family and friends on Thanksgiving Day that we remember and cherish.
With that in mind, we’ve gathered a variety of ideas for making Thanksgiving memories this year and maybe some new traditions, too. We hope you enjoy what follows and wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving from The Behavior Exchange family to yours!
Preparing for the Big Day
- We eat with our eyes first, so make your table a feast for the eyes with these decorating ideas. They’re so easy the whole family can get involved and take pride in their creations.
- Know what you have to get at the grocery store? This ready-made shopping list is a great shortcut and timesaver.
- Queue up your Thanksgiving movies ahead of time, so they’re ready to stream and entertain. If you’re not sure what to watch, you can find recommendations here and here.
- Buy a light-colored tablecloth and start a “Thankful Tablecloth” tradition where everyone at your table can write what they’re thankful for on the tablecloth. Use a permanent marker so you can use the tablecloth year after year.
On Thanksgiving Day
- Start the day with your family, enjoying a special breakfast that you only make on Thanksgiving. Why should the turkey get all attention?!
- Get the kids to set the table. This article includes super simple diagrams they can follow and hopefully learn a new skill.
- Add a few new sides to your repertoire. Here are 14 recipes that you can make in less than an hour, including a make ahead holiday salad, cheddar mashed potatoes, and citrus spiced cranberry sauce. Yum!
- Speaking of cooking, get everyone involved – including the kiddos. It’s lots of fun and builds family bonds.
- Bring everybody together to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV and play bingo at the same time! Here are free bingo cards you can download and print for the occasion. Giveaway a prize for serious fun.
The Friday After
- If you couldn’t get your guests to leave with leftovers, check out these delicious and easy recipes that will give new life to those turkey scraps and sides taking up room in the fridge.
- Give yourself the day to relax before you have to start preparing for the next holiday. It will be here before you know it!
Thanks for reading! The Behavior Exchange is a Behavioral Health Center of Excellence® with the highest accreditation possible for ABA therapy providers. If you’ve received an autism diagnosis for your child, our fun and caring ABA therapy services can help your whole family. Contact our autism experts today!